Developing Services for Older Offenders in Northumbria
Northumbria Probation Trust expressed concern as to the experiences of older offenders in Northumbria accessing health and social care and safely reintegrating into society. They commissioned Age UK North Tyneside and TDI to conduct a scoping exercise to identify relevant issues and desired outcomes, including the potential for further research on this topic area.
This is the report of that work.
The objectives of the research are:
- To undertake a scoping exercise on Northumbria Probation's older offender population.
- To survey staff from The Trust's and Age UK North Tyneside staff to identify levels of awareness and gaps in knowledge regarding older offenders.
- To develop proposals for raising staff awareness.
- To identify potential services which may support older offenders and gain an understanding of current and potential links.
- To analyse the capacity and potential of Trust's Approved Premises [two managed by NPT and two by the Society of St Vincent de Paul] to deal with older offenders.
- To prepare and present a report of findings and recommendations for future activity.
This work was undertaken in 2013.